Matar Paneer Recipe – How to make matar paneer
Matar paneer, is a vegetarian North Indian dish and Punjabi dish consisting of peas and paneer in a tomato based sauce, spiced with garam masala. It is often served with rice and an Indian type of bread.
Ingredients to make Matar Paneer
- 500 gms paneer
- 200 gms fresh matar
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 2.5 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder
- Ghee and oil
- Kasuri Methi
- Hot water
- 6-7 finely chopped Onions
- 4 tomato puree
- Ginger garlic paste
- Fresh cream (Optional)
Method to make Matar Paneer
- Heat a Pan and add 3-4 tsp ghee and 1 tsp oil.
- Add cumin seeds and Asafoetida and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions and cook until light brown.
- Add 3 tsp ginger garlic paste and cook until raw smell goes off.
- Add Salt as per taste, turmeric powder and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add coriander powder, Garam masala, Kashmiri lal mirch and cook the masala nicely for 1-2 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add ½ cup hot water and cook the onions and masala for 1 minute on a medium flame.
- Add tomato puree and mix it well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame until gravy releases the oil.
- Add fresh peas and cook for 2-3 minutes on a high flame.
- Add paneer and gently mix the paneer in the gravy. Add hot water 3 cups. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 12-15 minutes on a low flame. Don’t stir in between.
- Add 2 tsp crushed kasuri methi and give a mix.
- Garnish it with some fresh cream and coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with Chapati or Jeera Rice.