Small pieces of boiled potato, onion, mustard seeds, turmeric and red chili are seasoned and mixed with soaked and sieved beaten rice, and served hot. Poha is one extremely popular dish in whole of India and is also favorite breakfast amongst many, its cooked with different fashion in every region and is a highly popular dish in Maharashtra. It can be eaten not only as a breakfast but also for a snack or quick dinner.
- 400 Gms Poha (Flattened Rice)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large potato finely chopped
- 10-15 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Turmeric Powder
Method to make Poha
- Heat a pan and add oil. Fry handful of peanuts and take it out in a plate.
- Wash poha nicely until nice and soft.
- In the same pan add mustard seeds and let it crackle well.
- Add curry leaves and cook for 10-15 seconds.
- Add finely chopped onion and cook for 1-2 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add finely chopped potato and cook until potatoes are cooked.
- Add 3 tsp salt 1 tsp sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Add 2 tsp turmeric powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add washed poha and mix it all gently until poha is completely covered with turmeric.
- Sprinkle 3-4 tsp water on poha, cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add fried peanuts and gently mix it.
- Serve it hot with a slice of lemon and green chilly.
Note – You can add green chilies, or any other veggies based on your taste. Please ensure the poha is washed properly at the first instance and becomes nice and soft. Please don’t soak the poha always wash it.